Pages

6.07.2010

running for life & lupus

In a fitting way to end Lupus Awareness month, I woke up bright and early yesterday to run in the Lupus Foundation of Northern California's Annual Run and Walk for Lupus. The weather was gorgeous with clear blue skies and sunshine, though it was a little on the hot side for nine o'clock in the morning. I'm not a fast runner by any means, but I think I did quite decently for myself, finishing in 37 minutes and 32 seconds (still far better than my time last year).

Every year it overwhelmes me to see how many people support LFNC and their mission. I benefited from the services of LFNC (then known as the Bay Area Lupus Foundation) when I was first diagnosed with lupus in the form of books and information. At the time, I could not easily find current information on lupus. That book (which I still have) changed my outlook on the rest of my life. I thought that lupus was a death sentence and the book showed me that it absolutely was not.

I've been living with lupus for 15 years and I'm a prime example that a diagnosis is not the end of the world. I count my blessings everyday that my lupus is, for the most part, under control and that I can live a semi-normal life. I do have days when I am fatigued or my joints are swollen, but they are few and far between. And over the years I have learned what works and what doesn't work for me. I wish everyday that I didn't have to live with lupus, that I didn't have this extra challenge. But I am grateful for everyday that I have.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails