Pages

10.04.2010

pumpkin + chocolate

Let me begin by saying that I'm not a pumpkin lover. I don't get giddy in September like everyone else when Pumpkin Spice Lattes start popping up at Starbucks. In fact, I dread Thanksgiving because my in-laws prefer pumpkin pie over pecan pie. 

The only thing pumpkin that I've come close to enjoying is something my friend makes which is somewhere between a muffin and a cookie, and contains the all important chocolate chips to distract me from the main ingredient. (Unfortunately I don't have the recipe, but I promise to definitely share if I ever do.)

I was very surprised when I felt that I needed to make this recipe (shared by someone on the Studio Calico forums). It is, afterall, pumpkin. And I'll admit that the chocolate chips were helped.

So on Saturday afternoon, when I probably had something more productive to do (like make cards for World Card Making Day), I baked these sweet morsels of pumpkin and chocolate goodness. Love! I didn't have any use for the left over puree so I doubled the recipe. Doubled, the recipe turns our 24 cupcakes on the small side. Thus I recommend filling the tins with more batter for a bigger cupcake.   

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cupcakes

1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 eggs at room temperature
1 cup canned pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. In medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and ground cinnamon. In large bowl, whisk sugar, eggs, pumpkin puree and vegetable oil together; combine flour mixture. Fold in chocolate chips.

3. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Ironically, a day after I made this I found this Ina Garten recipe for Pumpkin Cupcakes which is essentially the same minus the chocolate chips and adding ground ginger and nutmeg. For comparison sake, I will have to make these also!

1 comment:

erin said...

ok yum...good for you!
try pumpkin chocolate chip cookies:
2 spice cake mixes
1 big can of pumpkin [the libby can kind]
1 bag of chocolate chips
mixed together
put into little balls onto a cookie sheet
bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes

oh so good!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails