Pages

9.13.2010

hunger games


I have been reading good things about "The Hunger Games" for quite while now, but resisted picking it up because I don't normally read young adult novels. I finally succumb to the hype a couple weeks ago and wondered what took me so long to come around. It didn't disappoint!

The protagonist is Katniss Everdeen who has been providing for her mother and sister since her father was killed in a mining accident by hunting. When her younger sister, Prim, whom she has tried to protect, is selected for the annual Hunger Games, Katniss volunteers to take her sister's place and thereby completely altering her own life. I won't give away too much, but I can say that it is a very good read. (Not as good as the Harry Potter series, but still entertaining and a worthy read.)

I highly recommend this book to everyone, but most especially to tweens and teenage girls. I don't remember a lot of characters like Katniss when I was that age and I think I would have loved this over 25 years ago. I can't wait to read Catching Fire and Mockingjay. Right now I have both on hold at the library, but I think it will be months until I get my hands on them.

Otherwise I'm patiently waiting for my Back 40, Open Pasture and other littles goodies coming in that brown Studio Calico box! Tomorrow can't come soon enough!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails